Saturday, September 6, 2008

2.6

What is in a number? That depends on what it indicates. This number indicates that my sweet baby who is in the first month of first grade (1.1) can read at a grade equivalency of someone in the sixth month of second grade (2.6). I knew that she could read, and that she enjoys reading, but I never really thought about how "good" she was at it. Our school participates in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program, and the test that she took to place into the program is called the STAR test. This STAR test placed her grade equivalency at the 2.6 level, and it recommends that she read books at the 2.4 to 3.4 level in order to have challenging materials to read. I am just floored! And I have already found the first problem with this high of a reading level for a younger child---most princess books are in the 1.9 or below area! I am worried about the content in some of the higher grade level books, so I am really going to have to pay attention to that. But, I am so proud of Princess, and I wanted you to know, too! In fact, many of you may have already found yourself in this position or you will soon. Princess's friends are just as intelligent as she is! Don't say that I didn't warn you!

7 comments:

Quiltermama said...

Wow! She's a SuperReader!!! :-)

I'll keep my eyes out for princess books in the older range! :-)

brickmomma said...

Yay Princess!!

Shannon said...

She's a smartie for sure! :)

Nicole said...

FUN stuff!!! RP does a GREAT job at teaching reading! We have had an experience quite the same as yours. They say they will pretty much level out by the end of the elementary years, but for now, we can enjoy it :) (and I TOO LOVE Mrs. Turner!) Yea for Princess!

Anonymous said...

Love the his hair and I am sure that Aunt Cindy will think it is cool!
As for my little Granddaughter, I am not at all surprised! We are really proud of her and her accomplishment in the reading program. Reading stories has always been a special time for her. Now, it is even better when she can read and enjoy the story at her level.
Grammy from Clovis

Becky said...

Way to go G!!!!! So proud of you! I saw it coming! :o)
I too have been so amazed at my little man's reading development and ability! Despite his many obstacles last year! ug!

brickmomma said...

So, I just had a conf with #1's teacher and she is reading at 2.0 level...OH MY!!! I don't know where she got this from...but I am one proud momma!